October 23, 2010
Blackstone Valley Art Association October 19, 2010 BVAA Board Meeting minutes.
Compiled by Mike Zeis, Recording Secretary. Submitted 10/23/2010
The meeting was held in Art Creations in Hopedale.
Officers/Board Members present: Michelle King, Laura Cenedella, Mike Zeis, Bob Evans, Karen Pendleton. Others present: Sarah Dattneer, Libia Gloncalves, Paul McCall, Pam Siderewicz, Kathe Kirchmyer, Muriel Hogan, Robin Wessman.
1. Minutes from the 10/5/2010 Board Meeting were read and accepted.
2. Treasurer’s Report (through Michelle King): $5274.80 + $245.00 = $5,469.80.
3. Display lights have been ordered.
4. Michelle asked that a copy of the bylaws be sent to her–even an old copy.
5. Pending November show purchases: Carol will pick up ribbons. Blob will acquire four easels to hold signs.
6. Next meeting: November 16, 7 pm , at Art Creations. Carol has arranged for Ann Gorbett to demonstrate pallete-knife painting.
7. A suggestions was made to separate the business meeting from the presentation part of the meeting when we have a guest demonstrator. It was agreed to keep the format as we have had it. That is, a brief business meeting will precede the demonstration. The understanding is that the main function of the brief business meeting will be to inform the membership of action taken at previous more business-related board meetings.
8. Sam has agreed to let the BVAA hold a paint-out at Art Creations. Laura said that the event could be publicized through free calendar listings, which the BVAA qualifies for because of our status as a non-profit. Laura also said that we should publicize the event with a press release saying, “First Paint-out.” With our show in November and holidays in December, the Paint-out will take place sometime next year.
9. Bob Evans demonstrated new features of the club’s web site, including the Members’ Galleries page. He asked for gallery contributions and web-site suggestions and recommendations. A request was made to post directions to the November show at St. Ann in Woonsocket.
10. November show; • Michelle King and Muriel Hogan will check in art on Friday evening, November 26. • Check-in time is 5 pm to 7 pm. • Karen said that after the submission deadline of November 5, a check-in log, a check-out log, tags for art, and material for the program can all be prepared.
11. There has been discussion about holding a joint show with the Franklin Art Association. We learned that The Franklin Art Association is celebrating its 40th anniversary in Spring 2011, so the joint show will not be in Spring 2011.
12. Logistics for the November show: • Sam has shrink-wrapped our panels and has stored them in his Norfolk facility. • Our lights are in the Mendon Art Creations facility. (We were cautioned that the lights must be unplugged when not in use.) • We need to locate extension cords and several tables. (Pam Siderwicz has a truck to help with hauling and has a 4′ table we can use.) • Bob Evans volunteered to design and produce signs. • Muriel suggested that members take shifts at the door to our display area, and work on an art project during the shift, as a way of attracting the attention of Winter Carnival attendees.
13. Laura can distribute “rack-cards” describing the BVAA in various locations through the Chamber of Commerce. In the past, rack-cards have been printed by NPS in Franklin. VistaPrint is another possible source. Laura needs to know before December 2010.
14. The meeting schedule has been firmed up. There will be a meeting on the third Tuesday of each month, held at Art Creations.
15. Sam will let club members hold classes at Art Creations, for 20% of student revenue. Members who are interested in teaching should send an e-mail expressing interest to (email@example.com)
16. Bob will send a reminder to members who have not yet renewed their membership that they need to do so. (All memberships are up for renewal in September.)